Why does TNT have published (and uniquely strict) codes of conduct?
Overall Code of Conduct
Sexual Code of Conduct:
Being a teacher creates a certain position of power. Power that can easily be misused… resulting in ego strengthening for the teacher, competition between students and drama creation, to name just a few. So for ethical and legal reason TNT has created strict rules to address this issue.
- Adult responsibility: we expect and require you to act like an adult. This includes not playing a “victim” and learning to become 100% responsible for your own health, safety and happiness. If something does not feel right in the school or during a workshop, then speak up. To counter the tendencies of group cult-dynamics, you should never do anything that does not feel right to you by blindly following the group. Do not greatly exceed your comfort zones to minimize the chances of later regrets.
- Discuss the undiscussables: TNT operates on a circle basis. There is no hierarchy when it comes to human rights. Anyone can speak at anytime. This includes challenging the workshop leader if something feels off. You will never be reprimanded for respectfully voicing your disagreement, or changing the situation/exercise as required by you. One or both parties will learn from discussing things transparently.
- Anti-ego: TNT has found that the most consistent way to improve people’s lives and create long-term change is with honest feedback – i.e. not pretending people are doing better than they are. The New Tantra is a spiritual school in the tradition of Crazy Wisdom. One of the more controversial techniques employed is to humorously, artfully and lovingly insult the ego. It can be quite confronting to hear what people really think of you. This will usually polarize the head and heart. The head will scream in defiance in a predictable way, and the heart will feel relief to know the truth. If you cannot handle constructive criticism, TNT is the wrong school for you. Participants should not give anti-ego criticism to each other unless they are trained and qualified by TNT at level 8 or above.
- Safety: If you want a process or exercise to stop altogether, you can use the TNT code-word “Apple-tree”.
- Confidentiality: You cannot talk outside of the workshops about other people and what they did on the courses. You can of course share your own experience. Please try to suspend your judgments of others.
No naked sexual contact (i.e. no exchange of bodily fluids, and /or touching breasts / or genital, oral or anal penetration) between staff and female students is permitted during our workshops other than from an assistant with gloves on in step 3a de-armoring, or at step 8 – professional training of sexual bodyworkers. To reduce participants making up false claims at a later date, any breach of this rule should be immediately reported to staff in the circle before the end of the workshop. Professional sessions with staff involving genital contact are allowed but must involve the participant signing a consent form PRIOR to any sexual contact.
For ethical (power position) reasons, The head teachers of TNT are not permitted to have sex with single female students after their first workshop with TNT for 3 years, or with couples for 2 years. Co teachers of TNT are not permitted to have sex with female students after their first workshop with TNT for 1 year, or with couples for 1 year. Assistants are not permitted to have sex with female students for 3 months. Exceptions to these rules: long-term relationship with unanimous consent from staff… people who were in sexual relationship with staff before they came to a TNT workshop… or if a student progresses to become a staff member because as a tantra school the team members are sexually active between each other, including team members’ partners.